Frequently Asked Questions

What type of information will I see on the disclosure website?

You will see the following inspection reports completed after January 1st, 2017 for all food premises, personal services settings, and public pools & spas:

  • Required: These inspections are mandated, unannounced inspections by public health inspectors to ensure the minimum standards are met for the facility to operate.

  • Follow-up: These inspections are conducted in addition to required inspections to ensure issues found by the public health inspector are addressed and corrected.

  • Complaint: These inspections are completed to address concerns that have been filed to the Health Unit by the public. These inspections are conducted in addition to required inspections and may only address an individual concern.

    Temporarily Closed: A list of facilities order closed (section 13 Order - HPPA) by APH will be listed identifying the date a closure order was served and the reason the facility is no longer safe to operate. Facilities will be posted until the date the facility was approved to reopen by APH.

    Enforcements: Enforcement related information such as tickets, orders, advisories and convictions will be listed. These types of infractions will be displayed for all of the public health programs covered under the Environmental Health department.

    How can I view inspection results previous to January 1st, 2017?

    Inspection reports for food premises previous to January 1st, 2017 can be viewed by contacting Algoma Public Health at (705) 942-4646, (toll-free: 1-866-892-0172).

    What if I see a mistake with the information posted online?

    Algoma Public Health makes every effort to ensure that inspection results available online are accurate and up-to-date. Please report potential errors or omissions to Algoma Public Health at (705) 942-4646, (toll-free: 1-866-892-0172).

    What if a premise that I visit is not listed online?

    Not all types of premises have information posted online. If the premises you are referring to is a food premises, a personal services setting, or a public pool or spa, contact us. We will follow-up to determine if the facility is subject to inspections by Algoma Public Health.

    How can I view information on a premise that is not listed online?

    We use a variety of means such as our website, social media posts, or media releases to regularly provide:

  • Routine inspection results

  • Beach water testing

  • A list of waterways confirmed to have blue-green algae

  • Reports of premises where an infection prevention and control lapse was identified

For those premises that are not listed online or for requests for information related to non-routine investigations (including mould, outbreak, and animal bite investigations), consideration to share this information is conducted on an individual basis and in accordance with privacy legislation and Public Health policy. Please contact us at (705) 942-4646, (toll-free: 1-866-892-0172) for additional information.

Who inspects the establishments listed on the disclosure website?

Public health inspectors from Algoma Public Health inspect certain premises located within the Algoma to make sure that they comply with legislative requirements.

How can you file a complaint?

Public health inspectors are available to respond to public health complaints and can be reached at (705) 942-4646, (toll-free: 1-866-892-0172). If you have a complaint on one of our inspected premises, please fill out our Complaint Form.

Where can I get more information?

For more information on the activities of Algoma Public Health or to speak to a public health inspector during normal business hours, phone (705) 942-4646, (toll-free: 1-866-892-0172).